4 Keys to Biblical Unity
(adopted from Dr. Ajith Fernando)
1) Individuals must crucify themselves
- Philippians 2:3–4 (NIV) 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
- Ephesians 4:2 (NIV) 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- Ephesians 4:32 (NIV) 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 (NIV) 5 It [LOVE] does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
- Ephesians 5:21 (NIV) 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
2) Fight for Unity.
- Ephesians 4:3, “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace,
3) Share Openly (in the light)
- 1 John 1:7 (NIV) 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
4) Christian fellowship is essentially a spiritual unity in Christ.
- Philippians 2:1 (NIV) 1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
- Ephesians 4:11–13 (NIV) 11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
- Romans 15:5–6 (NIV) 5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- John 17:23 (NIV) 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.